Key Pet Poisons – are you aware?

Are you aware of the danger that antifreeze poses to your cat? Or if your puppy consumes foods containing xylitol, the artificial sweetener they could be in for an emergency trip to see the vet

 

Agria Pet Insurance is running a theme of Responsible Pet Ownership during February and March, they are trying to give pet owners like you a better understanding of pet poisons and toxins.

If you have a pet or know someone that does you’re in a unique position to share this information that could one day save their pets life.

agria-poison-banner

So what are the major hazards?

 

Anti Freeze

It may seem an obvious one, but many pet owners are unaware of the severe danger this poses to their animals. Christian Hughes, vet at Fivelands Veterinary Centre in Birmingham, comments,

At this time of year we do see cats coming in with antifreeze poisoning, just from licking up spillages on the ground or containers left open. Failure to treat this promptly can result in kidney failure and death.”

Keep products containing ethylene glycol well away from your pets, you can also get safe alternatives that contain propylene glycol.

 

Every Day Foods

Every day foods that you will come across regularly such as artificial sweeteners, grapes and onions can cause serious harm to dogs. Xylitol the artificial sweetener can cause hypoglycaemia and liver damage, grapes can cause renal disease and onions can cause Heinz body anaemia. Keep these foods out of reach from your dogs and when these items are disposed of ensure your canine friends can’t get to them.

 

 Rock Salt

When the temperature dips and pavements are treated with rock salt, please be aware of its toxicity to dogs. As well as causing irritation to their paws, if they are allowed to lick it off – which is likely if it is making their pads uncomfortable – the result can be sickness.

Simply rinsing a dog’s paws when it returns from a walk will remove the salt.

 

Bulbs

The unseasonably warm weather for the early part of this winter has caused daffodils to sprout already in many parts of the UK. Shoots can be pretty tempting to dogs that like to dig, but unfortunately ingesting bulbs can cause anything from vomiting to fitting.

This is another one where supervision is the answer, especially for dogs given free rein in the garden.

 

Rat Poison

Cold weather brings mice and rats into houses and outbuildings, leading to an increase in poison being put down, especially in animal-free homes. Unfortunately rodenticides are very appealing to dogs, which is why they are one of the most common causes of poisoning seen in veterinary practices.

 icc_logo  vpislogo

International Cat Care, currently running the campaign ‘Keeping Cats Safe’ in conjunction with Agria, we feel that many poisonings could be prevented if only owners knew the risks.

Claire Bessant, from the charity, says;

Accidental poisonings are heart breaking because they are so often preventable – in most cases owners just weren’t aware of the dangers.  Even worse, sometimes pet owners are trying to help their cats – such as when giving paracetamol for pain, unaware that it can be lethal for cats.

Vet Christian Hughes, from Fivelands Veterinary Centre in Birmingham, is all too familiar with the consequences of pets ingesting poisons and toxins;

At this time of year we see cats coming in with antifreeze poisoning. Unfortunately they like the taste and will lick it up from spillages on the ground or containers left open, and if not treated promptly, this will cause kidney failure and death to occur.

If you suspect your pet has ingested any dangerous poisons seek immediate veterinary attention!  Get a quote for lifetime cover for your pet today >>

call 03330 30 10 30

Share this article
Share on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterShare on LinkedInEmail this to someoneShare on Google+Print this page