21 October 2020
We are genuinely mystified as to the reason why so many of our Rehoming partners report that black cats have a hard time finding forever homes. Sadly, this really does seem to be the case, and even the proportion of black cats we provide insurance for has fallen in recent years.
Katie has run Bradford Cat Watch Rescue, one of our rescue partners, for 13 years. She says:
“It is a sad fact that Black Cats are often overlooked and the last choice when people are considering adoption. Love knows no colour! Your cat doesn't care what colour YOUR hair is! And the #1 reason to adopt a black cat is that Black Cats are the least likely to get adopted!”
While many of us think there is nothing luckier than a black cat crossing our path (and believe us, those that live with one feel that the are very lucky to have them in our lives!), black cats are seen as unlucky by some. And a more current, yet very sad reason that their popularity appears to have taken a hit is because they are considered by some as harder to photograph, and therefore, not so great on social media.
Well, not only do we think that this a terrible reason not to have a black cat in your life, but that it is also not true! So, this National Black Cat Day, we are inviting the families of wonderful black felines to enter our photo competition on Facebook and show the world just how beautiful black cats really are on camera!
Carolyn Menteith, Behaviour and Training Advisor at Agria Pet Insurance, says:
“I always find it unexpected that black cats have difficulty finding homes as they are the most dramatic of all felines with an elegance all their own.
“If you need any more reasons to re-home a black cat, superstitions say that a black cat will bless your relationships, help you find money and ensure you have lots of suitors! Far more than that however, a black cat has just as much love to give as a tabby or ginger cat - and many owners report them as being calmer and more laid-back than other colours. While this may or may not be true, if you look at dogs, the black Labrador is thought of as being the calmer most patient of the three colours, so maybe this isn’t as far-fetched as it sounds.”
So, if you are lucky enough to own a black cat, Happy National Black Cat Day to you and to them! And please share a photo of them on our Facebook page. The photo that is voted Agria’s favourite will win the owner a £50 M&S voucher, and the rescue the top rescue cat was adopted from will win a fantastic luxury cat hamper!
Entries close at 11.59 on Thursday 29th October. See below for terms and conditions.
Win a £50 M & S voucher and a luxury cat rescue hamper in our Facebook photo competition!
Competition Terms and Conditions
These terms and conditions prevail in the event of any conflict or inconsistency with any other communications, including advertising or promotional materials. Participants of the promotion agree to be bound by these terms and conditions.
1. This prize draw is open to residents in the UK, Channel Islands and Isle of Man who are aged 18 years or over. Employees of Agria Pet Insurance are not eligible to enter. Only one entry is permitted per person – additional entries will not be counted.
2. The promotional period runs from Thursday 22 October to 11:59pm on Thursday 29th October 2020. Entries submitted outside of the promotional period will not be counted.
3. Entrants must submit their photo in the comments section of the original competition post.
4. You must have taken the photo yourself, or have permission from the person who took the photo, in order to submit it. Any entrants found to be using an image without the rights to it will be disqualified.
5. Any photographs depicting any animals in unsuitable or unsafe environments, or considered by the Promoter to be inappropriate, will be removed and the entrant will be disqualified.
6. Any comments considered by the Promoter to be inappropriate or offensive will be removed and the entrant will be disqualified.
7. The prize draw will take place by Friday 6th November 2020 and the winner will be selected by a panel of employees of Agria Pet Insurance. If the winning photo depicts a cat that is also a rescue cat, the rescue they were adopted from will win a luxury cat hamper. If the winning photo does not depict a rescue cat, the highest placed rescue cat’s rehoming organisation will win the hamper.
8. By entering the competition, you acknowledge the promotion is in no way sponsored, endorsed, administered by, or associated with Facebook.
9. By entering the competition, you agree that your image may be used by Agria Pet Insurance for marketing purposes following the competition.
10. The winner will be contacted via Facebook comment and direct message as soon as possible after being selected and will be asked to contact the Promote by email in order to claim the prize.
11. We will only use your personal data for the purpose of contacting you in relation to this competition.
12. Should the Promoter be unable to contact the winner or should the winner be unable to accept the prize, the Promoter reserves the right to award the prize to an alternative winner, drawn in accordance with these terms and conditions.
13. All elements of the prize are subject to availability, non-transferable and there are no cash alternatives.
14. The winner may be required to participate in publicity.
15. The Promoter reserves the right in its sole discretion to disqualify any individual that does not adhere to these terms and conditions.
16. Events may occur that render the prize draw itself or the awarding of the prize impossible due to reasons beyond the control of the Promoter and accordingly the Promoter may at its absolute discretion vary or amend the promotion and the entrant agrees that no liability shall attach to the Promoter as a result thereof.
17. If for any reason any aspect of this prize draw is not capable of running as planned, including by reason of infection by computer virus, network failure, tampering, unauthorised intervention, fraud, technical failures or any other cause beyond the control of the Promoter which corrupts or affects the administration, security, fairness, integrity or proper conduct of this prize draw, the Promoter may in its sole discretion modify or suspend the prize draw or invalidate any affected entries.
18. The Promoter and its associated agencies and companies will not be liable for any loss (including, without limitation, indirect, special or consequential loss or loss of profits), expense or damage which is suffered or sustained (whether or not arising from any person's negligence) in connection with this promotion or accepting or using the prize, except for any liability which cannot be excluded by law (including personal injury, death and fraud) in which case that liability is limited to the minimum allowable by law.
19. Any question concerning the legal interpretation of the rules will be based on English law and the Courts of England and Wales will have exclusive jurisdiction.