06 April 2022
Cheddar the Corgi was just 8-months-old when she suffered poisoning from a very commonly-found plant in the garden. She loves being outside, so was happily pottering around while owner Rosie was in the kitchen. Rosie had fenced off a Rhododendron plant having found out it was toxic, however Cheddar found her way through the fence and had chewed off several branches before Rosie spotted what she was up to. Cheddar was then sick multiple times.
Concerned for her puppy, Rosie called the vet, who advised her to take Cheddar in for some blood tests and monitoring, as the symptoms of poisoning can take 12-24 hours to fully show. Ingesting leaves or flowers of this particular plant can cause nausea, vomiting, depression, and difficulty breathing, in some cases leading to coma or even death.
Cheddar stayed in overnight on a drip, but fortunately by the next morning, Cheddar was feeling much better and has made a full recovery.
“My advice to any dog owners is to check your garden for any toxic plants. This was such a worrying time, and it could have been avoided if we had simply removed the plant. The vets' bill came to over £1,000. Find out what’s in the garden, use a plant identifying app if you’re not sure, just take the time to find out.
As well as some unusual varieties, some of the most common plants found in gardens are toxic to dogs. These include:
Oak tree foliage and acorns
Yew berries and foliage
Find out more about the plants in your garden that are toxic to your pets here: Poisonous plants factsheet
With an Agria Pet Insurance policy, you can access the free Pet Health Helpline, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. The veterinary-trained team will advise on any concerns or queries that you may have over your pet’s health – much like the NHS 111 service for people. Call free on 03333 32 19 47.