<iframe src="https://www.googletagmanager.com/ns.html?id=GTM-PK9D66" height="0" width="0" style="display:none;visibility:hidden" title="gtm-frame"></iframe>Can Dogs Eat Cheese? | Agria Pet Insurance
03330 30 10 00
Get a quote
My AccountGet a quote
Get a quote

Back to Guides and advice

Can dogs eat cheese?

It’s tempting to share a chunk of tasty cheese with your dog. But, do you know whether it is safe?
Can dogs eat cheese?

Delicious cheese! Dogs and humans tend to agree on this, and the flavoursome taste and smell really appeals to our canine friends. But, before you share a cheesy treat with your dog, it’s worth checking, can dogs eat cheese? 

The answer is yes, but it’s not a straightforward yes! There are many types of cheese, and some are suitable to use as a treat. However, other varieties should not be fed to dogs as it can upset their digestive systems. 

As with humans, some dogs struggle to digest cheese. If your dog is lactose intolerant, all cheese should be avoided even though there is a lot less lactose in cheese compared to milk. 

Which types of cheese can I give to my dog? 

Cheese is high in fat and salt, so it really must only be fed as a treat and in small amounts. Stick to the lower-fat types of cheese if you can to avoid giving your dog too many calories. Cheddar, Red Leicester and Edam or Gouda types are good choices and stick to the unflavoured cheeses.

Cream cheese is okay to feed to dogs but only the plain type. Dogs should never have garlic, onion or chives as they are toxic, so stay away from any flavoured cream cheese. Cottage cheese is an excellent option to feed dogs as it has a lower fat and salt content.  

Blue cheese is a big no-no. It contains a substance known as roquefortine C, which is a fungus used in its making. Dogs can be very sensitive to this fungus, and it can make them quite ill. If your dog eats any blue cheese and you notice the following symptoms, take them to the vet straight away:

  • Seizures
  • High temperature
  • Vomiting and diarrhoea

Health benefits for dogs eating cheese

Cheese is a good source of protein, vitamin A, vitamin B-complex and calcium, as well as essential fatty acids. These are all things your dog needs in their diet, but they should be getting them from their regular dog food. 

It is high in fat and salt, so any dog on a calorie-controlled diet should not be fed cheese. There are plenty of healthier choices available.

Keep cheese as a treat to limit calorie intake and any likelihood of it upsetting their digestive systems. 

Can I feed my puppy cheese?

Cheese is very palatable to puppies and they do tend to love it! It can be a great choice of treat to use when training but limit the amount you feed them by cutting it into tiny chunks. 

Remember, treats should only make up 10% of a dog’s diet, with the remaining 90% coming from a good quality, complete dog food. This is particularly important for puppies to ensure they get all the nutrients they need to grow big and strong. 

So, yes to feeding your puppy or dog cheese, but limit it to a treat or for training purposes only. 

As an Agria Pet Insurance customer, you can speak to a vet completely free whenever you have a question or concern about your pet’s health. Simply download the Agria app free 24/7 video calls; giving you expert advice to help keep your pet happy and healthy.

Download free from your app store here

Find out more here

Previous article

How long do puppies sleep?

Next article

Can cats eat eggs?

Related guides and advice

Follow us

  • Cookie policy
  • Privacy Policy
  • UK tax policy
  • Terms and conditions
  • Modern slavery statement

For UK customers:
Agria Pet Insurance Ltd is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority, Financial Services Register Number 496160. Agria Pet Insurance Ltd is registered and incorporated in England and Wales with registered number 04258783. Registered office: First Floor, Blue Leanie, Walton Street, Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire, HP21 7QW. Agria insurance policies are underwritten by Agria Försäkring.

For Jersey customers:
Agria Pet Insurance Ltd is regulated by the Jersey Financial Services Commission (JFSC). Ref: 0001498. Registered office: As detailed above.

For Guernsey customers:
Clegg Gifford Channel Islands Limited is licensed by the Guernsey Financial Services Commission. Ref: 2722221. Registered office: Admiral House, Place Du Commerce, St Peter Port, Guernsey GY1 2AT.

© 2024 Agria Pet Insurance Ltd. All Rights Reserved.