Acorns are poisonous to dogs
During autumn, acorns and chestnuts fall to the ground. To a curious or voracious dog, they can look both exciting and yummy. Therefore, be careful when walking near oaks or chestnut trees. Please keep your dog on a leash and under supervision if you think it's likely to eat off the floor.
Symptoms of Acorn Poisoning
- Howling or vomiting
- Won't eat
- Becomes constipated then get a tar-like diarrhoea within 2-10 days
Dogs that ingest large amounts of acorns may experience vomiting and diarrhoea. If it turns out that your dog has been poisoned, a veterinarian can give activated charcoal and treat it for stomach pains, constipation and diarrhoea.
What happens if your dog eats acorns?
Acorns contain large amounts of tannin. Tannin is corrosive and causes inflammation in the walls of the gastrointestinal tract and can in some cases damage the kidneys and liver. Acorns can also lead to intestinal blockage.
Real chestnuts vs horse chestnuts
Real chestnuts are harmless but can block the intestine. As well as blocking the intestine, horse chestnuts can cause vomiting and diarrhoea - a large intake can cause serious poisoning.
When should I contact the vet?
If your dog vomits, has diarrhoea or seems unwell, you should always contact a veterinarian.
Frequently asked questions about acorn poisoning
Related guides and advice
Keeping your pets cool and safe: Essential tips for hot weather care