<iframe src="https://www.googletagmanager.com/ns.html?id=GTM-PK9D66" height="0" width="0" style="display:none;visibility:hidden" title="gtm-frame"></iframe>Keeping Your Pet Safe From Poisons | Agria Pet Insurance
03330 30 10 00
Get a quote
My AccountGet a quote
Get a quote

Back to Guides and advice

Pet Poisons - Essential Advice for Pet Owners

Poisoning is one of the most common reasons pet owners call the vet, and as with most things, prevention is better than cure. Being aware of food and products that are toxic to your pet and keeping them out of their reach is essential.
Pet Poisons - Essential Advice for Pet Owners

Veterinary Nurse, Carolanne, says that the most common calls received from pet owners reporting cases of toxicity are:

  • Chocolate – Chocolate contains a chemical called theobromine that the human body can process but dogs and cats cannot. There are some types of chocolate that are more harmful than others so the general rule is to keep ALL chocolate out of reach of your pets. Always contact your vet immediately if you think your pet has consumed chocolate.
  • Painkillers – Over the counter human medicine such as ibuprofen can cause vomiting and diarrhoea, stomach ulcers and kidney failure in dogs.
  • Grapes, raisins, sultanas and currants - These fruits can cause kidney failure in dogs but the process is not fully understood, some dogs can eat a huge amount and have no toxic affect, whereas one small grape could seriously harm another dog.
  • Lilies – The whole of this plant is toxic to cats, the pollen is particularly dangerous. Some cats brush against the flower then groom themselves, this causes the cat to ingest the pollen and they can quickly show symptoms of kidney failure.
  • The Common Toad – this species is found all over Britain and it secretes a coating that is toxic to dogs and cats when ingested.
  • Slugs and snails – if eaten can transmit Lungworm. Adult lungworms live in the heart and the major blood vessels supplying the lungs of dogs and cats, they can cause potentially serious problems.
  • Mouse and rat poison – some of these can stop blood clotting internally. Symptoms of this don’t show for a few days so making sure your pet doesn’t encounter these in the first place is very important.
  • Permethrin – this is an insecticide that is found in dog flea treatments but is highly toxic to cats. Even the correct dose for a very small dog is enough to kill a cat.

“Most owners don’t realise there are many seemingly harmless items that are potentially poisonous to their pets”. If you see your pet eat something they shouldn’t then contact your vet as soon as possible

Previous article

Top 6 puppy toys

Next article

Gum disease in dogs

Related guides and advice

Follow us

  • Cookie policy
  • Privacy Policy
  • UK tax policy
  • Terms and conditions
  • Modern slavery statement

For UK customers:
Agria Pet Insurance Ltd is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority, Financial Services Register Number 496160. Agria Pet Insurance Ltd is registered and incorporated in England and Wales with registered number 04258783. Registered office: First Floor, Blue Leanie, Walton Street, Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire, HP21 7QW. Agria insurance policies are underwritten by Agria Försäkring who is authorised and regulated by the Prudential Regulatory Authority and Financial Conduct Authority.

For Jersey customers:
Agria Pet Insurance Ltd is regulated by the Jersey Financial Services Commission (JFSC). Ref: 0001498. Registered office: As detailed above.

For Guernsey customers:
Clegg Gifford Channel Islands Limited is licensed by the Guernsey Financial Services Commission. Ref: 2722221. Registered office: Admiral House, Place Du Commerce, St Peter Port, Guernsey GY1 2AT.

© 2024 Agria Pet Insurance Ltd. All Rights Reserved.