Some fruit and veg will give you dog digestive issues and others that are quite simply poisonous, so it’s always best to check first. So, can dogs eat grapes?
The answer is an emphatic NO. Dogs absolutely cannot eat grapes and neither can puppies. Grapes are toxic to dogs. This also applies to sultanas, currants, and raisins, all of which are dried grapes. Beware of feeding your dog any food product such as cakes or cookies with raisins or sultanas in them.
Why can’t my dog or puppy eat grapes?
The exact reason grapes are so dangerous to dogs is unknown, and they seem to be more toxic to some dogs than others. In some cases, they can be poisoned with just one or two. Be very careful about keeping grapes away from your dog, particularly if they a greedy type that is happy to eat anything and everything!
If your dog does eat grapes, they can develop ‘grape toxicity, leading to acute kidney failure if left untreated. Be warned; this can happen very quickly. If you suspect your dog or puppy has eaten grapes or raisins, sultanas, or currants, call your vet straight away.
Grape toxicity - what are the symptoms?
If you suspect your dog has eaten grapes or you see any of the following signs, do not delay in contacting your vet. Your dog can become ill very quickly, and it can be fatal.
- Weakness, lethargy, and not wanting to move
- Abdominal pain (a painful stomach when touched)
- Dehydration- excessive panting, dry nose, and pale gums. To check for dog dehydration, pull up the skin on the top of the neck (known as the scruff) and if it doesn’t spring back into place, your dog is dehydrated.
- Vomiting and/or diarrhoea within a couple of hours
- Increased thirst with either excess urination, or lack of urination. In some cases, none at all.
Grape toxicity is a severe problem for dogs, so do not delay in getting them treatment from your vet.
Related guides and advice
Keeping your pets cool and safe: Essential tips for hot weather care