<iframe src="https://www.googletagmanager.com/ns.html?id=GTM-PK9D66" height="0" width="0" style="display:none;visibility:hidden" title="gtm-frame"></iframe>Can Dogs Eat Pineapple? | Agria Pet Insurance
03330 30 10 00
Get a quote
My AccountGet a quote
Get a quote

Back to Guides and advice

Can dogs eat pineapple?

Some fruit and vegetables make perfect treats for dogs, but some can be poisonous. So, can dogs and puppies eat pineapple?
Can dogs eat pineapple?

The answer is yes - dogs can eat pineapple, and puppies can have a little, too!

Health benefits for dogs eating pineapple

Ripe pineapple contains various healthy vitamins and minerals, which are great additions to your dog’s diet. Dogs are omnivores, so they can digest fruit and veg as well as meat, just like humans. 

Pineapples are nutrient-dense and contain plenty of Vitamin C and riboflavin, thiamin, niacin, Vitamin B6 and folate. You’ll find they also are full of minerals, including iron, magnesium, potassium, copper, manganese, and small amounts of calcium, phosphorous, and zinc. These nutrients help keep your dog’s immune system and digestive system in tip-top health. 

Vet’s and nutritionists recommend treats only make up 10% of a dog’s diet, with the remaining 90% made up from complete, quality dog food. So make sure, if you do give your dog pineapple, that it’s just a little bit, here and there. 

How much pineapple can my dog eat?

While feeding pineapple to dogs is fine as a healthy treat, there are a couple of things to bear in mind. First, pineapple is high in fibre and high in sugar, albeit natural sugar. If your dog is watching their weight, avoid feeding pineapple as the high sugar equates to more calories. Secondly, the amount of fibre in pineapple can affect your dog’s digestive system if fed in large quantities. So, if there is any diarrhoea or your dog appears to have an upset stomach, avoid feeding them this fruit again. 

Don’t feed tinned or dried pineapple. The amount of sugar is too high for dogs, particularly if the tinned pineapple is in syrup. 

What part of the pineapple can my dog eat?

Make sure you cut off all the outer skin, including the spiny bits. Remove the core as this can be difficult to chew, making it a possible choking hazard. Cut it into tiny pieces first. 

Can my puppy eat pineapple?

Puppies can eat pineapple but in minimal quantities, ensuring it is introduced to them slowly. As with adult dogs, pineapple can cause digestive system upset. If your puppy gets diarrhoea, avoid feeding them pineapple again! Make sure you give them little cubes to avoid any choking.

Previous article

Why do horses need shoes?

Next article

Can dogs eat nuts?

Related guides and advice

Follow us

  • Cookie policy
  • Privacy Policy
  • UK tax policy
  • Terms and conditions
  • Modern slavery statement

For UK customers:
Agria Pet Insurance Ltd is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority, Financial Services Register Number 496160. Agria Pet Insurance Ltd is registered and incorporated in England and Wales with registered number 04258783. Registered office: First Floor, Blue Leanie, Walton Street, Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire, HP21 7QW. Agria insurance policies are underwritten by Agria Försäkring.

For Jersey customers:
Agria Pet Insurance Ltd is regulated by the Jersey Financial Services Commission (JFSC). Ref: 0001498. Registered office: As detailed above.

For Guernsey customers:
Clegg Gifford Channel Islands Limited is licensed by the Guernsey Financial Services Commission. Ref: 2722221. Registered office: Admiral House, Place Du Commerce, St Peter Port, Guernsey GY1 2AT.

© 2024 Agria Pet Insurance Ltd. All Rights Reserved.