<iframe src="https://www.googletagmanager.com/ns.html?id=GTM-PK9D66" height="0" width="0" style="display:none;visibility:hidden" title="gtm-frame"></iframe>Can Dogs Eat Cucumber? | Agria Pet Insurance
03330 30 10 00
Get a quote
My AccountGet a quote
Get a quote

Back to Guides and advice

Can dogs eat cucumber?

Dogs enjoy a chunk of crunchy, hydrating cucumber! But, should you feed it to them? Is it safe for them to eat?
Can dogs eat cucumber?

It’s always tempting to slip your canine friend a little taster straight from your plate, especially when their puppy dog eyes are staring straight at you! But before you do that, it’s always worth checking whether the food morsel is safe for your dog. 

We all know dogs can eat meat, but what many people don’t realise is that dogs are omnivores. This means they can eat fruit and vegetables as well. But not all of them! Some types will upset their stomach, and some are, quite simply, toxic. 

So, how about cucumber? Can dogs eat cucumber and can puppies eat cucumber? Yes, they can! Cucumbers are a safe and healthy treat for your dog or puppy.

Health benefits for dogs eating cucumbers

Cucumbers are virtually fat-free and have very low sugar and salt levels. This crunchy salad item has hardly any calories, so it’s the perfect treat for any dogs watching their waistlines. 

Cucumbers are made up of 96% water, so they are a hydrating treat and great on a hot day. They contain plenty of vitamins and minerals that are essential for the well-being of your dog:

• Vitamin K, C, B1, B5, and B6

• Molybdenum

• Potassium

• Manganese

• Copper

• Biotin

It’s worth mentioning that your dog should get all the nutrients they need from a good quality, complete dog food. Any extras you choose to feed your dog, such as cucumber, should only be regarded as a treat! Vets recommend that treats make up just 10% of your dog’s diet, with the remaining 90% coming from their regular food. 

How much cucumber can my dog eat?

There are no hard and fast rules, but it’s best not to give your dog too much cucumber as it could upset their digestive systems. Feeding a whole cucumber is not advised! Keep it to small amounts, and make sure you chop it into tiny pieces so it doesn’t become a choking hazard. 

What about feeding cucumbers to puppies? 

If your little puppy enjoys the juicy, crunchy texture of cucumber, you can be safe in the knowledge that it is fine to give them a little. As with any new food, introduce it slowly to their diet to avoid upsetting their stomach. Cut the cucumber into tiny pieces to prevent your puppy from choking.

As an Agria Pet Insurance customer, you can speak to a vet completely free whenever you have a question or concern about your pet’s health. Simply download the Agria app for free 24/7 video calls; giving you expert advice to help keep your pet happy and healthy.

Download free from your app store here

Find out more here

Previous article

Can I walk my dog if I am self-isolating?

Next article

Understanding and preventing separation anxiety in dogs

Related guides and advice

Follow us

  • Cookie policy
  • Privacy Policy
  • UK tax policy
  • Terms and conditions
  • Modern slavery statement

For UK customers:
Agria Pet Insurance Ltd is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority, Financial Services Register Number 496160. Agria Pet Insurance Ltd is registered and incorporated in England and Wales with registered number 04258783. Registered office: First Floor, Blue Leanie, Walton Street, Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire, HP21 7QW. Agria insurance policies are underwritten by Agria Försäkring who is authorised and regulated by the Prudential Regulatory Authority and Financial Conduct Authority.

For Jersey customers:
Agria Pet Insurance Ltd is regulated by the Jersey Financial Services Commission (JFSC). Ref: 0001498. Registered office: As detailed above.

For Guernsey customers:
Clegg Gifford Channel Islands Limited is licensed by the Guernsey Financial Services Commission. Ref: 2722221. Registered office: Admiral House, Place Du Commerce, St Peter Port, Guernsey GY1 2AT.

© 2024 Agria Pet Insurance Ltd. All Rights Reserved.