<iframe src="https://www.googletagmanager.com/ns.html?id=GTM-PK9D66" height="0" width="0" style="display:none;visibility:hidden" title="gtm-frame"></iframe>Can Dogs Eat Oranges? | Agria Pet Insurance
03330 30 10 00
Get a quote
My AccountGet a quote
Get a quote

Back to Guides and advice

Can dogs eat oranges?

Delicious, juicy oranges may seem like the perfect healthy treat for your dog. But are they a safe fruit for dogs to eat?
Can dogs eat oranges?

Some fruit and vegetables are safe for dogs to eat. Some types are even beneficial as they contain essential vitamins and minerals that dogs need for good health. Other fruits and veggies can be very toxic and must never be given to dogs.   

The good news is that dogs can eat oranges. But only the flesh. No pith, seeds, or peel. Puppies can have a little bit too. 

Health benefits for dogs eating oranges

Oranges are a good source of Vitamin C - however, dogs do not need this vitamin from food sources as their bodies produce Vitamin C naturally. They are also full of other nutrients, potassium, and a little fibre. There is virtually no sodium in oranges. 

Oranges are pretty high in calories for a fruit. This is because they are packed full of naturally occurring sugar. If your dog is watching their waistline, avoid oranges, and if your dog is diabetic, you should never give them oranges as it will spike their blood sugar levels. 

How many oranges can my dog eat?

You may find that your dog doesn’t like oranges. Dogs do not tend to enjoy citrus fruits as they can be bitter, and the smell doesn’t appeal to them. 

Of course, some dogs eat anything you give them! If you own an unfussy dog and want to share some orange with them, make sure you remove all skin, pith, and seeds. These parts of the orange can contain harmful toxic chemical compounds. 

Since treats or extras should only make up 10% of a dog’s diet, with the other 90% coming from a high-quality, complete feed, only give your dog 1-3 slices of orange as a maximum.

All citrus fruits are acidic, which can upset your dog’s digestive system. If you chose to feed them a little orange flesh, make sure you limit the amount and introduce your dog to it slowly. 

Do not give your dog orange juice to drink. It’s full of sugar and too acidic for dogs. Stick to water only!  

Previous article

Getting your litter of puppies microchipped

Next article

Why do dogs roll in fox poo?

Related guides and advice

Follow us

  • Cookie policy
  • Privacy Policy
  • UK tax policy
  • Terms and conditions
  • Modern slavery statement

For UK customers:
Agria Pet Insurance Ltd is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority, Financial Services Register Number 496160. Agria Pet Insurance Ltd is registered and incorporated in England and Wales with registered number 04258783. Registered office: First Floor, Blue Leanie, Walton Street, Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire, HP21 7QW. Agria insurance policies are underwritten by Agria Försäkring.

For Jersey customers:
Agria Pet Insurance Ltd is regulated by the Jersey Financial Services Commission (JFSC). Ref: 0001498. Registered office: As detailed above.

For Guernsey customers:
Clegg Gifford Channel Islands Limited is licensed by the Guernsey Financial Services Commission. Ref: 2722221. Registered office: Admiral House, Place Du Commerce, St Peter Port, Guernsey GY1 2AT.

© 2024 Agria Pet Insurance Ltd. All Rights Reserved.