<iframe src="https://www.googletagmanager.com/ns.html?id=GTM-PK9D66" height="0" width="0" style="display:none;visibility:hidden" title="gtm-frame"></iframe>Poisonous & dangerous plants & flowers for dogs | Agria Pet Insurance
03330 30 10 00
Get a quote
My AccountGet a quote

Back to Guides and advice

Poisonous and dangerous plants for dogs

Which plants are poisonous to dogs? Here we list some plants and flowers that can be dangerous for your dog.

The risk of poisoning plants and flowers is quite low. Usually, it is of the greatest importance what amount the dog has ingested, but there are plants that are dangerous even with small amounts. Less dangerous plants can cause symptoms such as vomiting and diarrhoea or that the plant juice can cause a burning sensation in the dog's mouth.

Poisonous plants that can be dangerous for dogs

  • Hogweed
  • Yew - this is poisonous regardless of quantity. It can cause vomiting, diarrhoea, breathing problems and convulsions
  • Gold rain
  • Privet
  • Nail mallet
  • The angel's trumpet

Plants in the garden that can cause can cause burning mouth, nausea, vomiting and diarrhoea

  • Wisteria
  • Dahlia
  • Holly
  • Honeysuckle
  • Climbing hydrangea
  • Ivy - larger intakes can cause bloody diarrhoea and vomiting
  • Peonies
  • Rhododendron – May be dangerous if ingested in large quantities
  • Thuja
  • Virginia creeper
  • Squill
  • Snowberry
  • Tulips

Poisonous houseplants for dogs

  • Philodendron
  • Call of peace
  • Wardrobe flower
  • Gladiolus
  • Gold vine
  • High Chaparral
  • Christ's crown of thorns
  • Croton
  • Lucky clover
  • Monstera
  • Sago Palm (Coned Palm) – Mainly the seeds which are poisonous but the whole plant can be dangerous. Can cause symptoms such as vomiting and diarrhoea, liver failure, convulsions, coma, death.
  • Splash away

Symptoms of plant poisoning

The symptoms vary depending on which dangerous substance the plant contains and how much the dog has ingested. Some plants are only dangerous if your dog has eaten large amounts. Some dangerous plants give rise to symptoms quickly, while others can cause damage that is only visible after some time. Symptoms that may occur include vomiting, diarrhoea, increased salivation, itching, lethargy, abdominal pain, increased thirst, shakiness, cramps and breathing problems.

If you suspect that your dog has eaten a poisonous plant and does not show symptoms, it may be good to consult a veterinarian, as some poisonings only show symptoms after a while.

When should I contact the vet?

Contact a veterinarian if your dog shows symptoms of poisoning. To find out more easily if there is any danger or not - try to find out:

  • What plant has your dog eaten?
  • How much it has absorbed
  • Consult a vet if you are unsure. If you need to see a vet, it is good to bring as much information as possible about what and how much your dog has eaten.

Puppies and ravenous dogs - greater risk

Fortunately, dogs don't seem to be as interested in chewing on flowers and plants as, for example, cats. However, it can be good to be extra attentive if, for example, you have a puppy or curious dog at home who likes to taste new things.

Previous article

List of toxic substances for dogs

Next article

Burns Night Delight: Can dogs eat haggis?

Related guides and advice


Follow us


For UK customers:
Agria Pet Insurance Ltd is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority, Financial Services Register Number 496160. Agria Pet Insurance Ltd is registered and incorporated in England and Wales with registered number 04258783. Registered office: First Floor, Blue Leanie, Walton Street, Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire, HP21 7QW. Agria insurance policies are underwritten by Agria Försäkring.


For Guernsey customers:
Clegg Gifford Channel Islands Limited is licensed by the Guernsey Financial Services Commission. Ref: 2722221. Registered office: Admiral House, Place Du Commerce, St Peter Port, Guernsey GY1 2AT.

© 2024 Agria Pet Insurance Ltd. All Rights Reserved.