Which Christmas flowers are poisonous to cats?

Many of our Christmas flowers are poisonous or have irritating sap that is not good for cats. Pay attention if your cat gets any symptoms that indicate they have chewed on or eaten from any plant.

It is above all lily plants that are dangerous and a special warning sign must be raised for the genera Lilium and Hemerocallis. All parts of the plant are dangerous, and a taste test can in the worst case cause life-threatening kidney damage. Even the water in the vase can be dangerous if the cat drinks from it. Christmas roses, hyacinths and amaryllis are also examples of plants that can be dangerous for cats.

Poisonous Christmas flowers, plants and cut flowers

Most of the plants on the list can affect your cat causing stomach ache, signs of nausea, drooling, vomiting and diarrhoea, see plants in the list marked with *. Most often, the symptoms are caused by plant sap that irritates.

  • Lilies - very dangerous for cats, regardless of the amount ingested. These can damage the kidneys and even lead to death.
  • Amaryllis - the bulb is especially dangerous. Larger intakes can cause, among other things, weakness and convulsions.
  • Azalea - larger intakes can be dangerous and cause, among other things, convulsions, respiratory and cardiac effects.
  • Cyclamen - it's the rhizome that is especially poisonous. In case of severe poisoning, convulsions and heart attack.
  • Hyacinth - the bulb or larger amounts of plant material can cause poisoning.
  • Yew - the entire plant, except for the red pulp, is poisonous. Can cause tremors, breathing problems, low blood pressure and pulse, convulsions and heart failure.
  • Christmas rose - Christmas rose can, in rare cases, cause heart symptoms.
  • Tazett - the whole plant, especially the bulb, is poisonous.
  • Tulip - above all, the bulb is poisonous. Can cause respiratory effects.
  • Mistletoe – mild gastrointestinal distress
  • Poinsettia*
  • Holly*

Put away poisonous flowers and avoid lilies altogether

If you have a cat that likes to taste flowers and leaves, you should be a careful with the plants you keep in your home. But you don't have to avoid flowers for that - often it's enough to put poisonous plants in a place where the cat can't reach them, or simply avoid the most poisonous flowers.

Signs of poisoning

If your cat shows signs of poisoning, has an affected general condition, drools, vomits or has diarrhoea, contact a vet for advice. Likewise if you discover that your cat has chewed on a plant. If you suspect that the cat has chewed on a lily plant, it is especially important to contact your vet quickly as they can cause permanent kidney damage to the cat.

Do you suspect that your cat has been poisoned?

Try to find out:

  • What plant your cat has ingested, if you're not sure, take a photo and ask a friend for advice.
  • How much your cat has ingested
  • When you cat ingested or chewed on the plant.

Always consult a veterinarian if you are unsure.

If you have to see a vet, it is good to bring as much information as possible about what and how much your cat has eaten.

Agria Care guide

We are there for you when you feel concerned about your cat's health and are unsure of how to act. Our experienced veterinarians give you advice and make an initial assessment of your cat's state of health. You can reach us around the clock via the Agria Vet Guide app.